Excellence In Teaching Award Recipient Announced

Claire Peppenhorst, an ADN faculty member since May 2023 at our Nashville Campus, is the recipient of this year’s Joan L. Frey Excellence in Teaching Award

The recognition is a testament to Claire’s dedication to her students, her exceptional teaching methods, and her unwavering passion for nursing.

Galen is fortunate Claire is teaching our future nurses. Her journey, teaching philosophy, and insights into the nursing profession are interesting to learn.

Claire’s journey into nursing began with a heartfelt conversation with her mother, who was battling breast cancer at the time.

“When I was young, the show ER was popular. My mom was being treated for breast cancer and I remember telling her I wanted to be a doctor,” Claire recalled.

Her mother’s response, “I think you would be a great nurse, you are exactly the kind of person I would want to have taking care of me.” This sparked Claire’s lifelong calling.

From that moment, she knew she was destined to be a nurse and embraced the profession as a calling rather than just a career.

Claire’s journey began 16 years ago with HCA Healthcare when she started her nursing career at a hospital in Nashville. After five years in management and witnessing changes in the nursing profession, particularly during COVID, she was compelled to do her best to prepare future nurses for the challenges ahead.

“I wanted to bring my real-life experience to the classroom and inspire them to have a positive impact on the nursing profession,” she said.

In her teaching, Claire emphasizes the importance of critical thinking and understanding the significance behind clinical assessments.

“I place high value on building critical thinking skills and teaching students why certain things matter,” she said.

By blending lectures with practical activities like case studies and skill practice, Claire ensures her students can connect theory with clinical practice. Her goal is for students to leave her class feeling confident in their knowledge and decision-making abilities.

The most rewarding teaching moments are seeing her students succeed after putting in tremendous effort.

“There is something so fulfilling about seeing them perform well when we have pushed them farther than they thought they could go,” she said.

Though relatively new to teaching, Claire remains open to learning from her colleagues and students, continuously seeking feedback, and adapting her methods to stay current with best practices in nursing education.

Claire hopes to inspire her students to always strive for excellence while enjoying their work.

“I want them to have a sense of joy and passion for patient care,” she said. “I encourage students to be a blessing to their patients’ physical, mental, and emotional well-being.”

The students who stand out to her are those who are passionate about their education and radiate positivity to their peers.

Winning the Joan L. Frey Excellence in Teaching Award is a humbling experience for Claire and affirms she is achieving her goal of making a significant impact on her students and the nursing profession.

“I strive to give my students the kind of education that inspires them to not only become great nurses but also to contribute positively to their work environments, their families, and their community,” she said.

Claire’s advice for new nursing educators is to embrace the joy of teaching, seek help when needed, and maintain healthy boundaries.

“Teaching is so fun,” she said. “I recommend asking for help. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Have healthy boundaries with students and your workload.”

By connecting, encouraging, and challenging students, educators can create a supportive and effective learning environment.

As Claire looks to the future, she is focused on completing her MSN and possibly pursuing further education with a BSN program. She recognizes the evolving nature of the nursing profession and is committed to preparing future nurses for the changes and challenges ahead.

Claire praises Galen for fostering excellence among faculty and students through its core values of inclusivity, character, accountability, respect, and excellence.

“We strive to create a learning environment that supports the whole student,” she said. These values align with the fundamental principles of nursing and positively influence the communities Galen serves.

Claire’s dedication to nursing education, her innovative teaching methods, and her compassionate approach to patient care have made her a deserving recipient of the Joan Frey Excellence in Teaching Award.

Her story is a powerful reminder of the impact that passionate and committed educators can have on the future of nursing. Through her work at Galen, Claire continues to inspire and prepare the next generation of nurses to meet the challenges and embrace the rewards of their noble profession.

May 31, 2024